Smoked Salmon Cheesecake
- 1/2 lb of smoked salmon, from a pouch, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 3 8oz packages of cream cheese,softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped (red or green or a combination of both)
- 1 tb extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup of fresh dill or 1/3cup of dried
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese
This is a savory cheese cake with smoked salmon that is perfect eaten in wedges or spread on crackers for a before dinner appetizer.
- Pre heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Butter the sides of an 8 inc spring form pan.
- Sprinkle the bottom with the bread crumbs.
- Chill the pan in the refrigerator while preparing the batter.
- In a mixing bowl,beat together the cream cheese, eggs and cream, until smooth.
- Saute the bell peppers in olive oil over medium heat. about 2 minutes.
- Fold the peppers into the cream cheese along with the dill,shallots,white pepper, salmon and Gruyere cheese.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Place a piece of heavy foil under the pan and wrap up and around the sides.
- Set the pan in a larger pan and pour boil water halfway up the sides of the spring form pan.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Turn off the oven and open the door a few inches and allow to cool for 1 hour in the oven, leaving the door open.
- Move to a rack until completely cool, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until ready to serve.
- run a knife around the pan and remove the spring form sides.
- Serve in wedges with crackers.
Technique note: This technique of slow cooking in a water bath keeps the cheese cake creamy and keeps it from cracking.