Spicy Spinach Dip with Crispy Pitas
- 1 10 oz package of frozen spinach, chopped, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 lb of cream cheese, softened
- 6 tbs milk
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, minced
- 2 tbs of chopped Serrano chilies, seeded and minced finely
- 4 large pitas, cut into 6ths
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
Spinach dip is great for parties or small gatherings. This dip is smooth and savory with a little kick.
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the spinach to boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan, then squeeze the excess water out of the spinach, using a clean dish towel or paper towels.
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, cream cheese, milk, tomatoes, onion and minced chilies.
- Mix well to blend thoroughly.
- Spoon mixture into a oven proof glass pie pan. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the dip is baking, cut the pitas into wedges.
- Mix the cumin and lemon pepper together in small bowl.
- Place the pitas on a non stick baking sheet and brush with olive oil and sprinkle with the cumin mixture.
- When the dip is done, broil the pitas until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Let the dip cool briefly, and serve it in the middle of a platter surrounded by the crispy pita wedges.