Vichyssoise/Cold Potato and Leek soup
- 4 leeks washed and cleaned thoroughly.
- 1 onion diced
- 4 tbs of butter
- 3/4 pound of potatoes
- 1 quart of vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup of whipping cream
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt for garnish
- snipped chives
This classic soup is always served cold. Potatoes and leeks have a natural affinity and produce a wonderful flavor profile.
- Clean and slice the leeks.
- Melt the butter in a heavy sauce pan,
- Add the leeks and onions and cook gently for 10 minutes.
- Dice the potatoes and add to the pan along with the vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then puree in a blender of food processor.
- Pour into a bowl and stir in the whipping cream.
- Chill for at least 4 hours. Overnight is better.
- After chilling taste and readjust the seasoning. One a soup like this is cold some of the flavors may be muted.
- Serve topped with yogurt and chives.