Calamari Salad with Walnuts and Grapes
- 2 lbs of cleaned squid
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- handfull of red seedless grapes, cut in half
- juice from lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 2 shallots,minced
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is a quick and easy calamari salad. The key to keeping the calamari tender is to only cook it for 1 minute. If you cook it any longer it will get tough. When cooking calamari the rule is cook it for a short time or a very long time. There is no in between.
- Cut squid into 1/4 inch rings.
- In a sauce pan with boiling water, place the squid and boil for 1 minute.Remove right away and place squid in a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.
- Cut the celery into thin diagonal pieces.
- Peel and cut shallots into thin rounds.
- Chop parsley, leaves only.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and gently mix well.
- Chill for several hours, then serve.