Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
|4 lbs of skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch chunks|
|1 sheet of puff pastry (available in the frozen section of the grocery store).|
|1 large onion peeled and quartered.|
|2 ribs of celery, cut in slices on the diagonal|
|2 tbs parsley, minced|
|1 bay leaf|
|5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks|
|12 small shallots|
|1/2 cup all purpose flour|
|1 stick of unsalted butter|
|1/2 cup chicken stock|
|1/2 cup of milk|
|2 cloves garlic, sliced|
|1 cup of frozen green peas|
|Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.|
This is a southern version of the American favorite chicken pot pie. This recipe also uses puff pastry as opposed to pie pastry.
- In a medium sauce pan simmer chicken breast until tender. About 30 minutes
- Remove chicken and let cool
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter and stir in flour until a roux is formed.
- Once roux is a light golden color stir in slowly the 1/2 cup of chicken stock.
- Add the chicken, garlic, celery, onions, bay leaf, carrots and shallots and let simmer for 15 minutes. As sauce thickens add a little more chicken stock.
- Add the frozen peas.
- Let mixture continue for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile on a lightly floured surface,roll out one sheet of puff pastry. Use a fork to make holes all over the rolled our sheet .
- In round oven proof pie pan,pour in the chicken mixture.
- Place the rolled out puff pastry sheet over the mixture making sure the edges overlap the pie dish.
- Seal the puff pastry about the edges of the pie plate by squeezing.
- Cut several slits in the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 25 to 25 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven or until pastry crust is golden.