Chinese Stir Fried Scallops with Mushrooms and Snow Peas
- 1/2 lbs sea scallops, quartered
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg white
- 2 tsp dry sherry
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 2 tsp canola or peanut oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is a great recipe to hone your Chinese cooking skills. This is basically a Cantonese recipe. If you would prefer it spicier add some whole dried hot chilies or some red pepper flakes.
- Mix the egg white with half the cornstarch and half the oil in a small bowl.
- Add the scallops and coat. Marinate for 5 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large saute pan using high heat and add the scallops and stir fry until the scallops are opaque. Take not care to over cook.
- Transfer scallops to a serving plate and leave the sauce in the pan.
- In a bowl mix the remaining cornstarch, the sherry wine, and soy sauce with 1/2 cup of water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix corn starch until it is completely dissolved.
- Using high heat add the remaining oil to the pan.
- Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the snow peas and the mushrooms and stir fry for about 1 minute.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and stir until sauce thickens.
- Pour over scallops, and serve.