Irish Lamb Stew with Mushrooms and Red Wine
|2 lbs lamb stew meat, trimmed of fat and cubed|
|2 tbs olive oil|
|1 and 1/2 cup onion, finely minced|
|4 cloves garlic minced|
|4 cups water|
|1/2 cup dry red wine|
|2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks|
|5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch rounds|
|1 lb mushrooms, quartered|
|1 14 oz can of whole tomatoes|
|1 small can tomato paste|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs fresh rosemary, chopped|
|2 tbs mint, finely minced|
This is a delicious stew that uses lamb shoulder and is perfect for a informal dinner.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or stock pot, using medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until soft.
- Add meat and cook for 10 minutes or until brown on all sides.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and cover and cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Simmer for an additional 10 minutes then serve over rice.