French Salad Nicoise
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and fresh crack black pepper to taste
- 3 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 and 1/2 of dried
- 2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 4 tender celery stalks, sliced on a bias and or 1/2 zuchinni cut into small cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into rings
- 1 yellow or orange pepper, seeded and cut into rings
- 1 pint of ripe cherry tomatoes
- 5 medium red-skinned potatoes cooked and sliced (cook in boiling water for 10 minutes or until fork tender)
- 3 7oz cans of solid white albacore tuna packed in olive oil (water if you can't find it in olive oil)
- 10 large black olives, sliced
- 10 pimento stuffed and sliced
- l large onion sliced and separated into rings
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1 small bunch of basil leaves, cut into strips
- 4 scallions, sliced on a bias, white and green parts
- 2 hard boiled eggs sliced length wise, as garnish
This is a French salad that uses wonderful ingredients and flavors that common to the south of France. It is full of farm fresh vegetables and accented by solid white tuna.
- In a bowl combine all dressing ingredients and mix well with a wire whisk. Refrigerate.
- Place Green beans in boiling water along with potatoes and cook until slightly tinder but still crisp
- Dip celery in the same boiling water that contained the potatoes and green beans for about 20 seconds.
- Place all vegetables in a bowl along with the tuna which has been flaked by a fork and pour dressing over, toss and mix gently.