Fresh Peas with Spring Onions and Bacon
- 1 lb of fresh peas
- 3 strips of bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tbs of butter
- 6 spring onions, chopped, white and green parts
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
Spring is here and soon to come will be fresh peas. You will find them available at your local farmers markets or you may use our local harvest link to find farmers in you area who have peas. Believe me fresh peas are so good. So don’t miss this once a year opportunity. I usually buy a 5lbs or more and blanch them in boiling water for a minute and put them in freezer bags and freeze them. You may also use frozen peas for this recipe.
- In a sauce pan cook peas in a enough boiling water to cover for about 3 minutes.
- Cook bacon in a saute pan until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- Place butter in a clean saute pan and the onions and garlic and saute over medium heat, until onions are soft.
- Reduce heat and add the peas, bacon and seasonings.
- Heat through and and serve.