|2 tbs of finely minced ginger|
|10 tbs of water|
|2 large eggs|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|2 tsp of pure vanilla extract|
|2 tsp of brown sugar|
This custard brings out the wonderful flavor and spiciness of ginger along with a smooth custard and a crackly sugar topping.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine water, ginger and sugar in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half.
- Strain mixture through a wire mesh strainer and discard the ginger. Let mixture cool slightly.
- Mix ginger liquid, half and half, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Spray 4 (8 oz) oven proof ramekins with cooking spray.
- Place a high sided baking pan in the oven and pour in hot hot water until about 1 inch in depth.
- Place the ramekins into the baking pan and bake for about 1 hour at 325 degrees until set.
- Remove the ramekins from the water and let cook, then cover and refrigerate.
- After brule’s are coo, sprinkle brown sugar over the top of each one and place on a baking sheet under a broiler until sugar melts.