Green Bean Casserole with Swiss Cheese Sauce
|1 lb of fresh green beans, trimmed|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1/2 cup water|
|2 tbs butter|
|1 tbs flour|
|2 tsp mustard powder|
|1/2 cup milk|
|2 tbs dry sherry|
|1/4 lb shredded swiss cheese|
|1/2 cup Frenches crispy onions (or use home made)|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
The combination of Green Beans with Swiss cheese, crispy onions and a touch of garlic work perfectly together.
- Trim ends from green beans, then cut beans into 1 inch pieces.
- Cook beans in boiling water until slightly tender. About 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain and return to sauce pan.
- In another sauce pan melt the butter.
- Stir in the flour, garlic, and mustard. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Slowly add milk and wine.
- Cook for 5 minutes over low heat. stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Add swiss cheese and remove from heat.
- Stir until cheese melts. Pour cheese over beans and mix well.
- Lightly grease a casserole dish. Pour beans into dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with crispy onions, and gently mix with beans.