Iron Skillet Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 8 to 10 pineapple rings (1 large can)
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 cups of crushed pineapple
This is a super simple version of pineapple upside down cake that is made in a cast iron skillet If you prefer you could also use a spring form pan.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 10 inch iron skillet, melt the butter over low heat.
- Add the sugar to the pan and stir around, then place the pineapple rings into the pan. Add enough rings to completely cover the bottom of the pan. Cook on low for 2 minutes then turn off heat.
- For the cake; In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar and sour cream.
- Add the vanilla and eggs and mix well.
- Add the crushed pineapple to the batter.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the batter until just combined.
- Remove skillet from the heat and spoon the batter over the top.
- Spread gently so batter is evenly distributed.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake is brown and bubbly.
- Allow cake to sit in skillet for 5 minutes .
- Place a large serving dish on the top of the skillet and carefully turn over the skillet in order to release the cake onto serving dish.
- Garnish with candied cherries if desired.