Middle Eastern Gyro
- 1 lb flank steak or lamb tenderloin , trimmed and cut into 1/8 inch strips across the grain.
- 4 pita bread rolls
- lettuce, tomato and cucumber for garnish
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dry mint leaves or 6 to 8 fresh mint leaves finely chopped (fresh is better)
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is delicious version of Middle eastern specialty Gyro properly pronounced (hero). This version is grilled over hot coals and uses flank steak with a middle eastern style dressing.
- Cut meat into strips.
- Mix all ingredients for marinade and add the meat strips.
- Marinate for at least 1 hour before grilling.
- Cook over hot coals for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or on a stove top grill.
- Heat pita bread over hot coals for about 2 minutes. Turn half way through heating.
- Arrange chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers and shredded lettuce on top of pita rolls.
- Divide meat evenly over the 4 rolls.
- Place a spoon full of yogurt over the rolls.