Middle Eastern Gyro
|1 lb flank steak or lamb tenderloin , trimmed and cut into 1/8 inch strips across the grain.|
|4 pita bread rolls|
|lettuce, tomato and cucumber for garnish|
|1 cup of plain yogurt|
|2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|1/3 cup dry red wine|
|1 garlic cloves minced|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|1 tsp dry mint leaves or 6 to 8 fresh mint leaves finely chopped (fresh is better)|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is delicious version of Middle eastern specialty Gyro properly pronounced (hero). This version is grilled over hot coals and uses flank steak with a middle eastern style dressing.
- Cut meat into strips.
- Mix all ingredients for marinade and add the meat strips.
- Marinate for at least 1 hour before grilling.
- Cook over hot coals for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or on a stove top grill.
- Heat pita bread over hot coals for about 2 minutes. Turn half way through heating.
- Arrange chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers and shredded lettuce on top of pita rolls.
- Divide meat evenly over the 4 rolls.
- Place a spoon full of yogurt over the rolls.