|1 cup of raisins (half dark and half golden)|
|1 and 1/4 cups self rising flour|
|1 small bottle of candied cherries, sliced|
|1/2 cup cornstarch|
|1 tsp baking powder|
|3/4 cup butter, softened|
|1/2 cup sugar|
|4 large eggs|
|1/3 cup candied lemon peel (you can make by cutting lemon peel into strips and boiling in a sugar and water mixture for several minutes. Turn off heat and let it sit for 1/2 hour. Remove lemon peel and let dry on a baking sheet for several hours.)|
|1 cup chopped almonds|
|1/4 cup rum|
|Fine bread crumbs|
- Grease a standard loaf pan and sprinkle it with fine bread crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss raisins in a little flour.
- Sift the remaining flour, cornstarch and baking powder together.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in 1 egg.
- Gradually beat the remaining eggs into the creamed mixture, stirring a little flour mixture between each addition.
- Fold in remaining flour mixture.
- Stir in lemon peel, almonds, raisins and rum into the mixture.
- Turn the batter into prepared pan; smooth the surface.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes our clean.
- Remove cake from pan and cool on rack.
- Slice and serve.