Sweet and Sour Indian Apricot Chutney
|4 lb's ripe apricots|
|1/4 cup kosher salt|
|3 quarts of water|
|2 cups cider vinegar|
|1 and 1/2 cups sugar|
|2 large onions, sliced|
|4 cloves garlic, sliced|
|1 cup of raisins (1/2 cup dark and 1/2 cup golden)|
|2 tsp fresh ginger,minced|
|1 tsp red pepper flakes|
|1/4 lb of crystallized ginger, chopped|
Many chutneys gain their genesis from India. They are basically relishes which are characterized by a sweet and sour flavor.They are great to off set the heat of spicy foods.
- Pit and slice apricots.
- Place in a bowl. Mix salt with water and pour over apricots.
- Let stand overnight then drain.
- In a large sauce pan combine drained apricots with vinegar,sugar, onions,garlic, raisins, ginger and red peppers.
- Place on low heat and simmer, uncovered for 1 and 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, and skimming off any foam that may rise to the surface.
- Cook until thick, clear and golden brown.
- Add the crystallized ginger to mixture for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- pack simmering chutney into hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.
- Let stand 1 week before serving.