Sweet and Sour Indian Apricot Chutney
- 4 lb's ripe apricots
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 3 quarts of water
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup of raisins (1/2 cup dark and 1/2 cup golden)
- 2 tsp fresh ginger,minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 lb of crystallized ginger, chopped
Many chutneys gain their genesis from India. They are basically relishes which are characterized by a sweet and sour flavor.They are great to off set the heat of spicy foods.
- Pit and slice apricots.
- Place in a bowl. Mix salt with water and pour over apricots.
- Let stand overnight then drain.
- In a large sauce pan combine drained apricots with vinegar,sugar, onions,garlic, raisins, ginger and red peppers.
- Place on low heat and simmer, uncovered for 1 and 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, and skimming off any foam that may rise to the surface.
- Cook until thick, clear and golden brown.
- Add the crystallized ginger to mixture for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- pack simmering chutney into hot sterilized jars and seal immediately.
- Let stand 1 week before serving.