Tuscan Style Cheese Surprise Meatballs with Spinach and Tomato Sauce
|1 box frozen spinach|
|3 lbs ground beef|
|1 lb sweet Italian sausage|
|1 large shallot, minced|
|3 cloves of garlic minced|
|1 large eggs|
|1/2 cup milk, divided|
|1 and 1/2 cup gread crumbs|
|mozzarella cheese cut into small cubes|
|1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|Extra virgin olive oile for drizzling|
|2 large cans of diced tomatoes|
|1 large can of plain tomato sauce|
|1 small can of tomato paste|
|2 tbs of basil, chopped|
|Chicken broth as needed|
These are Tuscan style meatballs stuffed with spinach and mozzarella cheese along with a savory tomato sauce.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wring defrosted spinach dry in a clean kitchen towel, being sure to squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Place ground beef and sausage in a bowl and mix gently, so the beef and sausage are evenly distributed.
- Make a well in the middle of the meat.
- Add the spinach, 1 large egg, milk, bread crumbs, parmesan, basil, salt and pepper.
- Heat a small sauce pot over medium heat.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil..
- Add shallots and garlic and cook until clear and soft.
- Add to mixture, and mix gently.
- Place a mozzeralla cube in the center of the meatball and form into balls slightly larger than a golf ball.
- Roll it closed, but not too tightly.
- Arrange meat balls on a slightly greased baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, or cooked unitl slightly pink in the middle.
- While meatballs are in the oven,combine all al of the tomatoes and sauce together.
- Season with salt and pepper and add 1 cup of Parmesan.
- Add sugar to taste.(balancing the acid from the tomatoes)
- When meatballs are cooked, add them to the sauce and cook slowly on low heat for 90 minutes..
- Stirr gently every 10 minutes.
- Serve alone or with a side of pasta.