Vegetarian Pita Pockets
- 8 pita bread rounds
- 1 large can of chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, sliced (white and green parts)
- 2 tbs of toasted sesame seeds (toast in a dry fry pan for 2 minutes using medium high heat)
- juice from 2 lemons
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp of red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ripe tomato, halved and sliced
- 1 red onion, halved and sliced thin
- 8 large butter or romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber, sliced into rounds, skin on
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Parsley for garnish
This a a healthy vegetarian sandwich that has a Mediterranean influence.
- Drain chickpeas and place in a blender with the olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.
- Put 1/2 cup of the chickpeas aside for garnish.
- Process until mixture is smooth. Place in a bowl.
- Add the scallions and red pepper flakes and mix well with bean mixture.
- Slightly heat the pita rounds.
- Spread the bean mixture evenly over the pita rounds.
- Add a lettuce leaf to each pita.
- Add the cucumbers and alfalfa sprouts and drizzle each round with the yogurt.