Vegetarian Pita Pockets
|8 pita bread rounds|
|1 large can of chickpeas, drained|
|2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|4 scallions, sliced (white and green parts)|
|2 tbs of toasted sesame seeds (toast in a dry fry pan for 2 minutes using medium high heat)|
|juice from 2 lemons|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|2 tsp of red pepper flakes|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 ripe tomato, halved and sliced|
|1 red onion, halved and sliced thin|
|8 large butter or romaine lettuce leaves|
|1 cucumber, sliced into rounds, skin on|
|1/2 cup plain yogurt|
|Parsley for garnish|
This a a healthy vegetarian sandwich that has a Mediterranean influence.
- Drain chickpeas and place in a blender with the olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.
- Put 1/2 cup of the chickpeas aside for garnish.
- Process until mixture is smooth. Place in a bowl.
- Add the scallions and red pepper flakes and mix well with bean mixture.
- Slightly heat the pita rounds.
- Spread the bean mixture evenly over the pita rounds.
- Add a lettuce leaf to each pita.
- Add the cucumbers and alfalfa sprouts and drizzle each round with the yogurt.