Wild Mushroom and Brie Soup with Sherry
- 2 lbs shitake mushrooms, rough chopped stems removed
- 2 lbs cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups of dry sherry
- 1/3 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 tbs fresh thyme, chopped
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbs dried powdered porchini mushroom powder
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 lb of Brie cheese
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This is a delicious soup. The combination of Brie and mushrooms is nothing less than magic. This recipe is the courtesy of chef Jeff Prather.
- To a large stock pot add the onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add mushrooms and saute.
- Add the sherry and reduce..about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add porchini powder, thyme, chicken stock and cream.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes and skim.
- Take Brie cheese and a small amount of liquid from the soup and puree in a blender of food processor.
- Add the puree back to the soup.
- Simmer skim once more and serve along with some crusty bread.