Wild Mushroom and Brie Soup with Sherry
|2 lbs shitake mushrooms, rough chopped stems removed|
|2 lbs cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped|
|1 medium onion, finely minced|
|3 cloves of garlic, finely minced|
|2 cups of dry sherry|
|1/3 stick of unsalted butter|
|2 tbs fresh thyme, chopped|
|7 cups chicken stock|
|3 tbs dried powdered porchini mushroom powder|
|2 cups heavy cream|
|3/4 lb of Brie cheese|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This is a delicious soup. The combination of Brie and mushrooms is nothing less than magic. This recipe is the courtesy of chef Jeff Prather.
- To a large stock pot add the onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add mushrooms and saute.
- Add the sherry and reduce..about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add porchini powder, thyme, chicken stock and cream.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes and skim.
- Take Brie cheese and a small amount of liquid from the soup and puree in a blender of food processor.
- Add the puree back to the soup.
- Simmer skim once more and serve along with some crusty bread.