Caribbean Creole Shrimp and Grits
|2 tsp olive oil|
|1 large onion, chopped|
|1 medium bell pepper, chopped|
|1 tsp cornstarch|
|1 small can Italian tomatoes, chopped|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
|1 habanero chili, seeded and chopped, if you like it spicy leave in the seeds|
|1 can chicken broth|
|3/4 cup white wine|
|1 tsp thyme|
|1 tsp oregano|
|1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
|1 tbs cilantro, chopped|
|4 cloves garlic, chopped|
|1 cup grits|
|2 1/2 cups water|
|fresh chives for garnish|
This is a Caribbean version of the Southern classic Shrimp and grits.It contains onions, peppers,tomatoes,chilies and is spiced with thyme, white wine, oregano,cilantro and garlic. The sauce is absolutely wonderful.
- Cook grits according to package directions, when done set aside a keep warm, if grits get too thick while sitting just add more water and mix well.
- Saute onion, peppers and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add arrowroot or corn starch and saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and Habanero.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add stock, wine, thyme and oregano.
- Add the shrimp, reduce heat heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add garnish with cilantro or chives. Both if you like and serve spooned over grits.