Charcoal Roasted Mussels with Sausage and Smoked Gouda
|2 lbs of mussels, washed and scrubbed|
|1/2 lb of sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing|
|1/2 lb smoked Gouda cheese, grated|
|Heavy duty aluminum foil|
This is a unique technique. Before cooking the mussels they are opened and stuffed with sausage and cheese, closed wrapped in foil packets and roasted of hot coals. They are absolutely delicious and a must try for your grill this summer. There is something about the flavors of the mussels along with sausage that is very special. These are the best mussels that we have ever had!
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill until very hot.
- Remove sausage from casing and saute in a hot pan until lightly browned. Drain and reserve.
- After washing mussels, using a sharp pare knife or oyster knife open the mussels over a bowl catching and liquid that drips out. Only open the shells partially so that the narrow ends stay connected.
- Cut out squares of foil about 4″x 4″. You will need about 30 squares.
- Place one mussel atop each foil square. Add any of the reserved liquid back to the mussels.
- Top each mussel with about a tsp of sausage and a tsp of cheese.
- Close top shell and wrap in the foil, not too tightly.
- Place the foil packets on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.