- 1 and 1/2 cups plus 2 tbs heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 and 3/4 cups sweetened condensed milk
- 7 tbs of tequila
- 2 tbs orange-flavored liqueur. such as triple sec, Gran Marnier or Cointreau.
- juice of 6 limes
- zest from 1 lime
This is a recipe from British chef Nigella Lawson. A margarita flavor treat with the flavors of tequila, orange flavored liqueur and a creamy custard base.
- Make a custard by heating the cream (do not boil) in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk it very slowly into the egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Pour the mixture back into a clean sauce pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Do not let boil.
- Pour mixture into a clean bowl and leave to cool a little.
- Stir in the condensed milk, tequila and orange flavored liqueur, lime juice and zest, and let cool completely.
- Pour mixture into a container with a tight fitting lid and freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Serve in margarita glasses rimmed with sugar.