Mexican Cabbage Soup with Red Potatoes
|5 cups of beef stock canned or fresh made Food So Good Mall Beef Stock Recipe|
|1 tbs mustard powder (we like colemans)|
|1 cup of frozen corn|
|1 onion, quartered and thinly sliced|
|2 Serrano chilies, seeded and chopped|
|2 tsp ground coriander seed|
|1 avocado, seeded and chopped into medium dice|
|3 cups cabbage, thinly sliced|
|1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes|
|2 tbs lemon juice|
|2 medium red potatoes, cut into small cubes|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|Chili peppers for garnish|
This is a wonderful Mexican soup. It combines fresh vegetables with chilies, cilantro, lemon, garlic and avocado.
- In a medium sauce pan cook the onion in several tbs of the beef broth for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the minced chilies and garlic and saute for another minute.
- Stir in the mustard and the ground coriander.
- Add the beef broth.
- Stir in the tomatoes with juice along with the potatoes and lemon juice.
- Simmer the soup for 20 minutes uncovered or until the potatoes are soft.
- Add the corn and cabbage and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the avocado.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper and serve garnished with cilantro and chilies.