- 4 cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- lard of canola for frying (in Mexico authentic refried beans are made using lard)
- kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- 1 tbs epazote (available in Latin markets)
- Green onion tops sliced for garnish
Very traditional in Mexico, re fried beans are a staple of the Mexican table.
- Heat the lard or oil using medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until almost soft.
- Add the epazote half way through cooking.
- Begin adding the beans about a half cup at a time and mash them as you go.
- Continue frying until all the beans have been added and completely mashed.
- Season well with salt and pepper.