|4 cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed|
|1 large red onion|
|3 cloves garlic, minced|
|lard of canola for frying (in Mexico authentic refried beans are made using lard)|
|kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste|
|1 tbs epazote (available in Latin markets)|
|Green onion tops sliced for garnish|
Very traditional in Mexico, re fried beans are a staple of the Mexican table.
- Heat the lard or oil using medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until almost soft.
- Add the epazote half way through cooking.
- Begin adding the beans about a half cup at a time and mash them as you go.
- Continue frying until all the beans have been added and completely mashed.
- Season well with salt and pepper.