Spicy Corn and Cheese Empanadas
|2 cups flour|
|1/4 lb butter, cut into 1 inch cubes, plus and additional 2 tbs|
|1/3 cup cold water|
|2 tsp kosher salt|
|additional melted butter for baking|
|1 tbs canola oil|
|1 tbs butter|
|1 tbs sugar|
|1 cup frozen corn|
|1 onion, finely chopped|
|1 poblano pepper,seeded and chopped|
|2 cups heavy cream|
|1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled|
|1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced|
|1 tbs chopped parsley|
|kosher salt and black pepper to taste|
This recipe combines a spicy cheese mixture encased in flaky dough. You may adapt the recipe to use ground beef or chicken.
- Combine the flour, butter and salt in a food processor, pulse for 30 seconds. Then slowly add the water.
- Pulse it until an dough forms (you may also make the dough by hand).
- Melt the butter with the oil in a saute pan using medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until tender.
- Add the corn and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Turn down the heat and add the salt, pepper, sugar and cream. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the scallions, cheese and parsley.
- Stir to combine.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, making the dough about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a 4 inch cookie cutter, cut out 8 circles.
- Divide the filling between 4 of the circles , brush the edges with beaten egg, then top with the other circle and squeeze to seal tightly.
- If baking brush the tops with beaten egg. If frying omit this step.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or fry at 365 degrees for 5-8 minutes or until golden and crispy.