Basque Pork and Chicken Stew
|1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks|
|1 lb pork tenderloin, cut into chunks|
|6 slices of thick sliced bacon|
|1/2 lb of button mushrooms, stems removed and cut in half|
|1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped into large chunks|
|1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped into large chunks|
|1 can whole black olives|
|1/2 lb whole green olives with pimento|
|1 bunch of scallions, sliced, white and green parts|
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|2 tbs balsamic vinegar|
|2 tbs olive oil|
|3 tbs tomato paste|
|1 14 oz can of whole plum tomatoes|
|1/4 cup chicken broth Food So Good Mall Chicken Broth Recipe|
|1 tbs oregano|
|1 tsp cumin|
The Basque region of Spain is famous for flavorful soups and stews. This recipe combines pork and chicken along with bell peppers, green onion, bacon and olives. It is cooked for at least 8 hours in a slow cooker, which develops wonderful, deep, rich flavor.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan. Saute bacon until slightly crispy.
- Add mushrooms peppers, and green onions and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add vinegar and cook for 1 minute more, stirring well. Set side.
- Place chicken and pork in a slow cooker.
- Add the bacon and vegetable mixture.
- Add the olives.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix.
- Pour over the chicken and pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.