Josephine Baker’s Spaghetti Bolognese
|8 oz lean ground pork|
|8oz lean ground beef|
|8 oz lean ground veal|
|4 tbs tomato paste|
|1 oz minced onion|
|1 oz minced celery|
|1 oz minced shallot|
|1 oz minced carrot|
|1 tsp minced garlic|
|2 cups brown veal or beef stock(optional)|
|1 cup red wine|
|1/2 oz extra virgin olive oil|
|1/8 tsp nutmeg|
|1/8 tsp red chili flakes|
|1 and 1/2 lbs of spaghetti|
|1 oz chopped flat leaf parsley|
|salt and pepper to taste|
In celebration of Josephine Baker Day in Harlem, NY. We would like to share her favorite recipe. It was a little known fact that she loved to cook. She also had a restaurant in NYC that her son now owns and operates. “Chez Josephine“.We were able to find her exact recipe for her Spaghetti Bolognese. This is the way she cooked it, and this was her favorite meal.
- Sweat the minced onion, celery, shallot, carrot and garlic in oil until translucent.
- Add ground beef, pork and veal and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring to break apart the meat for desired consistency.
- Cook the pasta accoring to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
- Addthe tomato paste and stir for 1 minute.
- Add red wine and veal stock if using and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, red chili flakes and nutmeg.
- Toss pasta with the bolognese sauce and add parsley.