Mexican Sonoran Shredded Beef Tacos
- 1 (4 lb) beef brisket, trimmed of fat and cut into cubes
- 4 cans beef broth
- 1 whole head garlic, crushed
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 dried guajillo chilies,broken into pieces
- 4 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs oregano
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
This is authentic Mexican recipe. Sonora beef is made with brisket. It is simmered for 4 hours in beef stock and water along with dried and fresh chilies, garlic, celery and onions. When the beef is done is it shredded and used in many different Mexican dishes. It is especially good in tacos. 10 plus servings.
- Cut brisket into large chunks. season with salt and pepper
- Add a little olive oil to a large stock pot or baking pan and using medium heat add the brisket and brown.
- Add all of the other ingredients and make sure that the brisket is covered with the beef stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer partially covered for 4 hours.
- Check frequently and make sure brisket is still submerged in liquid. Add liquid as needed.
- After four hours, remove brisket from stock and set on a large baking sheet and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Using two forks shred the meat.
- Now the meat is ready to use in tacos or enchiladas.