Pan Cubano Cuban Bread
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 tsp water
Cuban bread is slightly crusty on the outside, soft and a hint of sweetness on the inside. This recipe is written for a bread machine but if you do not have one it may be baked in the oven. When we bake bread in the oven we always use a pizza stone. It distributes the heat in the oven much more evenly and produces a superior product. This recipe is adapted from A Taste of Cuba by Linnette Creen. Available in our Amazon store.
- For the Bread machine method, place all ingredients except the egg and the water in a bread machine in the order suggested.
- Process on bread cycle.
- After bread is done and still hot. Glaze with egg and water mixture.
- If you are using the oven baking method; mix the dough in a large bowl, then knead for about 5 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Return to a clean bowl, cover and let rise for several hours.
- Punch down dough and shape into two torpedo shaped loaves.
- Score the top of the loaves with a sharp knife.
- Brush the top of the loaves with the egg wash mixture, place on a cookie sheet or better yet directly on a hot pizza stone.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the bread is golden brown.
- Cool bread for at least 1 hour before slicing.