Sweet Pea and Basil Soup with Rice and Tomatoes
|1 cup of fresh peas (you can use frozen if fresh are not available)|
|1 leek,white and light green parts|
|1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil|
|1cup white rice|
|5 cups of chicken stock (use our search engine for recipe or use canned)|
|2 tomatoes,seeded and chopped|
|12 basil leaves, divided (1/2 chopped)|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper|
|Parmesan cheese, grated for dusting|
Now that spring is almost here, we will be seeing fresh peas at the farmers market. Don’t miss the opportunity to use them in as many ways as possible. This soup sings the flavors of spring.
- In a large sauce pot using medium heat add the olive oil and saute the leeks and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and peas and stir, cooking for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in 1//2 of the basil leaves.
- Serve garnished with Parmesan and the remaining whole basil leaves.