Asian Wild Rice Salad
- 3/4 cup wild rice
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup of mandarin orange or peach slices, cut in half
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Wild rice is actually not rice at all. It is a marsh grass that grows in the northern lake areas and is harvested by hand by local Indian tribes. It has very nutty rich flavor and it takes almost twice as long to cook as regular rice. This salad uses Asian flavors to bring out the wonderful flavor of this rice.
- Place wild in a wire mesh strainer and rinse well. Drain.
- In a sauce pan combine the rice with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. cover and cook for about 40 minutes until rice is tender.
- For the dressing combine the canola oil, soy sauce, sugar ginger, sesame oil and salt and pepper.
- Add the orange or peach sections and gently mix well.
- Chill salad and serve.