- 8 slices of Challa or sour dough bread 1 inch thick
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 4 1 ounce slices of Wisconsin mozzarella cheese
- 2 1 ounce slices of Wisconsin mozzarella cheese
- 3 large fresh tomatoes, cut into thin slices
- 3/4 cup basil leaves (packed)
- 2 avocado's seeded and peeled and thinly sliced
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
This recipe is a twist on the all time favorite Italian salad of Mozzarella, basil and tomatoes, which has the delicious addition of avocado. Makes 4 sandwiches. This recipe is courtesy of Allison Lewis and Wisconsin Cheese.
- Heat griddle or large saute pan over medium heat.
- Brush one side of each bread slice with olive oil.
- Brush the other side with balsamic vinegar.
- Place the bread slices oil side down on the griddle or in the saute pan.
- Layer mozzarella cheeses, tomato, basil and avocado.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover with top halves of bread.
- Cook until bread is golden brown and cheese is slightly melted, about 3-4 minutes, turning once during cooking.
- Repeat for the remaining sandwiches.