Cherry Buttermilk Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 2 tsp sugar, for sprinkling
- 2 tbs butter
These scones are wonderful served with coffee, tea or for that matter a cold glass of milk.
- Pre heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 2 tbs sugar and baking powder and baking soda.
- With a pastry blender or Knife, cut in the butter and oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, vanilla and egg yolk and stir until combined.
- Pour liquids and cherries into flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Transfer the dough to an ungreased round baking sheet.
- Shape dough into a 7 inch round.
- dip knife into flour and make cuts for form 8 wedges, but don’t separate wedges.
- Brush wedges with egg white and sprinkle with 2 tsps of sugar.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Separate wedges and serve warm.
- Feel free to add your favorite jam on top.