Fried Black Eyed Peas
|1 lb of dried black eyed peas|
|1 small onion halved|
|1 carrot halved|
|1 celery stick halved|
|2 bay leaves|
|2 cloves garlic whole|
|2 cups chicken stock|
|water to cover|
|2 tbs old bay seasoning|
|canola oil for frying|
This is a super simple absolutely delicious recipe. It is great as an appetizer or a side. They are also great sprinkled over salads for a crunchy surprise. You may use canned black eyed peas if desired but we recommend that you use dried as they will have a better texture.
- Sort through dried peas and remove and small stones.
- In a large bowl add the black eye peas and cover them with cold water.
- Allow them to soak overnight.
- After soaking overnight drain and rinse the peas and add them to a large sauce pan or stock pot.
- Add the chicken stock, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, bay leaves and cover peas with at least 2 inches of water.
- Cook peas over medium heat for 1 hour or until they are tender.
- Remove carrot, onion, garlic, celery and bay leafs and drain peas completely.
- Lay peas out on a baking sheet and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat canola oil, using medium high heat in a deep fryer or large sauce pan. Oil should go not more than halfway up the side of the pan to prevent boil over.
- Fry for about 4 minutes until slightly crispy but not burnt.