- 1 lb of dried black eyed peas
- 1 small onion halved
- 1 carrot halved
- 1 celery stick halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic whole
- 2 cups chicken stock
- water to cover
- 2 tbs old bay seasoning
- canola oil for frying
This is a super simple absolutely delicious recipe. It is great as an appetizer or a side. They are also great sprinkled over salads for a crunchy surprise. You may use canned black eyed peas if desired but we recommend that you use dried as they will have a better texture.
- Sort through dried peas and remove and small stones.
- In a large bowl add the black eye peas and cover them with cold water.
- Allow them to soak overnight.
- After soaking overnight drain and rinse the peas and add them to a large sauce pan or stock pot.
- Add the chicken stock, onion, celery, carrot, garlic, bay leaves and cover peas with at least 2 inches of water.
- Cook peas over medium heat for 1 hour or until they are tender.
- Remove carrot, onion, garlic, celery and bay leafs and drain peas completely.
- Lay peas out on a baking sheet and pat dry with paper towels.
- Heat canola oil, using medium high heat in a deep fryer or large sauce pan. Oil should go not more than halfway up the side of the pan to prevent boil over.
- Fry for about 4 minutes until slightly crispy but not burnt.