Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad
|1 tsp honey|
|juice of 1/2 lemon|
|1 clove garlic, crushed|
|pinch of red pepper flakes|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|2 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
Halloumi cheese gains it’s genesis from the Island nation of Cyprus. It is a 100% sheep’s milk cheese and combines the texture of of mozzarella with the briny moisture of feta. Instead of melting when cooked, Halloumi browns nicely.It is also great when grilled.
- Whisk together honey, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes and season with salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil until combined. Set aside.
- 1 small red onion, very finely sliced
- 1 small cucumber cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup of kalamatta olives or other black olives, pitted
- A large handful of mint leaves coarsely shredded
- A large handful of flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup flour
- a large pinch of paprika, used smoked if available
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste (use sparingly as dressing contains salt and pepper)
- 1 lb of Halloumi cheese cut into 16 slices
- 2 tbs olive oil
- In a large bowl, toss together onion, cucumber, tomatoes, olives, mint and parsley.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Moisten Halloumi slices slightly with water, then press them into the seasoned flour, making sure they are coated all over. Shake off excess.
- Heat oil a large frying pan and fry Halloumi slices over medium heat for 2 minutes per side until golden on the outside and slightly soft inside.
- Toss the salad vegetables with the dressing making sure everything is well coated.
- Divide salad among 4 plates and put 2 slices of the hot Halloumi on each one.