Khuana Hawaiian Grilled Cheese Sandwich
|1 tbs extra virgin olive oil|
|4 fresh or canned pineapple rings|
|1 onion slice about 1/8 inch thick|
|1 red bell pepper sliced about 1/8 inch thick|
|6 tbs butter, room temperature, divded|
|4 kings Hawaiian rolls, split|
|8 slices pepper jack cheese|
|1/2 lb ham slices|
This is a Hawaiian version of the classic grilled cheese sandwich that uses Hawaiian sweet bread, pineapple, smoked ham and Wisconsin pepper jack cheese. This recipe is courtesy of Wisconsin cheese.
- Heat a saute pan over high heat and add olive oil and pineapple slices.
- Cook each side for about 1 minute to caramelize.
- Remove pineapple and return pan to heat.
- Add onions and peppers and saute for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add 1 tbs of butter.
- Add 4 slices of bread and top each with 1 slice of pepper jack, 2 ozs of ham, 1 pineapple ring and 1/4 of the peppers and onions, and another slice of the pepper jack.
- Place tops on sandwiches.
- Spread tops with about 1/2 tbs butter and grill until the sandwiches are golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melted, turning once during grilling.