Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw with Fennel Orange and Raisins
|1/2 large head of cabbage, core removed and shredded finely (about 6 cups)|
|1/3 cup apple cider vinegar|
|2 tbs canola oil|
|3 tbs fresh orange juice|
|2 tsp orange zest|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|1/2 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)|
|1 tbs minced fennel fronds|
|1/4 cup raisins|
This is a very special coleslaw that has a sweet and sour flavor profile. It is totally mayonnaise free highlighted by the anise flavor of fennel along with the sweetness of golden raisins.
- Combine the vinegar, oil, orange juice, and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well and chill.
- Toss the cabbage with the salt, and sugar in a large microwave safe bowl. Cover bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Stir and microwave again for another 30 seconds. Cabbage volume will be slightly reduced and cabbage will be wilted.
- Transfer cabbage to a salad spinner and spin until excess water is removed.
- Remove vinegar mixture from refrigerator.
- Add cabbage, orange zest, fennel, fennel fronds and raisins, then toss to combine.
- Adjust sugar of vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 1/2 hour.
- Toss before serving.