Sweet and Tangy Coleslaw with Fennel Orange and Raisins
- 1/2 large head of cabbage, core removed and shredded finely (about 6 cups)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs canola oil
- 3 tbs fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp orange zest
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, cored and thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tbs minced fennel fronds
- 1/4 cup raisins
This is a very special coleslaw that has a sweet and sour flavor profile. It is totally mayonnaise free highlighted by the anise flavor of fennel along with the sweetness of golden raisins.
- Combine the vinegar, oil, orange juice, and pepper in a small bowl. Mix well and chill.
- Toss the cabbage with the salt, and sugar in a large microwave safe bowl. Cover bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Stir and microwave again for another 30 seconds. Cabbage volume will be slightly reduced and cabbage will be wilted.
- Transfer cabbage to a salad spinner and spin until excess water is removed.
- Remove vinegar mixture from refrigerator.
- Add cabbage, orange zest, fennel, fennel fronds and raisins, then toss to combine.
- Adjust sugar of vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 1/2 hour.
- Toss before serving.