- 1 lb penne pasta, cooked to package directions
- 4 tbs of extra virgin olive oil
- 6 links of sweet Italian sausage
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, rinsed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cups marinara sauce, bottled or homemade
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper (optional)
This is a classic Italian recipe that combines the bitter flavor of Broccoli Rabe with sweet sausages and savory marinara sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan and add the sausages.
- Saute over low heat for about 15 minutes, turning often to brown on all sides.
- Remove sausages and brown on paper towels.
- Drain all but 2 tbs of oil from the saute pan. Add the garlic and saute until golden.
- Add the broccoli rabe, red pepper and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce basil, and sausages.
- Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place the pasta on a large platter and artfully arrange the sausages and broccoli rabe atop.