Broccoli Rabe with Italian Sausage
|1 lb penne pasta, cooked to package directions|
|4 tbs of extra virgin olive oil|
|6 links of sweet Italian sausage|
|2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced|
|2 bunches broccoli rabe, rinsed|
|1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1/2 inch strips|
|1/2 cup water|
|3 cups marinara sauce, bottled or homemade|
|1/4 cup chopped fresh basil|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
|crushed red pepper (optional)|
This is a classic Italian recipe that combines the bitter flavor of Broccoli Rabe with sweet sausages and savory marinara sauce.
- Heat olive oil in a large saute pan and add the sausages.
- Saute over low heat for about 15 minutes, turning often to brown on all sides.
- Remove sausages and brown on paper towels.
- Drain all but 2 tbs of oil from the saute pan. Add the garlic and saute until golden.
- Add the broccoli rabe, red pepper and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 8 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce basil, and sausages.
- Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Place the pasta on a large platter and artfully arrange the sausages and broccoli rabe atop.