Forty Garlic Clove Chicken
|1 small frying chicken cut into pieces|
|40 cloves of garlic, peeled and left whole|
|1/2 cup dry white wine|
|1/4 cup dry vermouth|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|4 ribs of celery, thickly sliced|
|2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped|
|1 tbs fresh basil|
|1 tsp dried oregano|
|pinch of crushed red pepper flakes|
|kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste|
This recipe celebrates garlic. From first glance it seems like 40 cloves of garlic is excessive. However when roasted in this manner the garlic becomes soft, creamy and sweet. 4 to 6 servings.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place chicken pieces, skin side up, in a single layer in a shallow baking dish.
- Combine garlic, wine, vermouth, oil, celery, parsley, basil, oregano and red pepper in a medium sized bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Sprinkle garlic mixture over chicken pieces.
- Remove zest from lemon in thin strips and place the strips over the chicken.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.