Georgia Boiled Peanuts
- 4 lbs of raw peanuts
- 1 and 1/2 gallons of water
- 1 and 1/2 cups of salt
Boiled peanuts are a staple of southern cuisine. There are a ton of variations. This is a basic recipe that is guaranteed to work every time. Only use this recipe with raw peanuts.
- Wash the peanuts in cold water until water rinses clean.
- Soak the peanuts in cold water for 1 hour before cooking.
- Add the peanuts to a large stock pot.
- Add the water and salt and mix well. Make sure the peanuts are covered by several inches of water.
- Cover pot and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, leaving cover partially over pot
- Cook peanuts for about 3 hours. Cooking time will vary depending on the texture that you desire.
- Taste the peanuts along the way, and add water and salt if needed.
- Let peanuts cool, then serve.