Rum Raisin Ice Cream
|1 cup raisins|
|3/4 cup dark rum|
|4 egg yolks|
|1/4 cup sugar|
|1 cup milk|
|1 1/2 cups whipping cream|
|1 tbs pure vanilla extract|
Rum Raisin is one of our favorite ice creams. Our version really has rum in it unlike the stuff you buy in the store. Because of the alcohol content this ice cream may take a little longer to freeze, but the wait is well worth it.
- In a small bowl, combine raisins and rum.
- Let stand for 3 or 4 hours.
- In a stainless steel bowl over a pan of simmering water, beat the egg yolks and sugar until thick and creamy.
- Scald the milk in a small sauce pan.
- Pour over eggs and mix well.
- Place the bowl back over the simmering water and stir constantly for about 10 minute or until the custard slightly thickens.
- Drain the raisins, and add the rum to the custard and cool.
- Pour the custard into an ice cream and follow the manufacturers directions.
- Stir the raisins in just before the mixture freezes.
- If you are using the freezer method whip the cream and vanilla to soft peaks.
- Fold into the custard.
- Pour mixture into several freezer proof containers.
- Freeze until firm, about 3 hours.