Indian Fried Chicken
- 1 3lb chicken breasts and thighs cut into serving pieces, skinless and de boned
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp dried cardamom
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Canola oil for frying
This is recipe that was inspired by one of our editors who hails from India. She suggested that why not develop a recipe for fried chicken that use Indian spices and flavors.
- Blend all of the spices in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pierce the chicken pieces in multiple places with a fork.
- Rub chicken all over with the spice mixture and yogurt and place covered in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and roll in the bread crumbs until completely covered
- Place chicken on a wire rack and let dry for 15 minutes.
- Pour enough oil into a large skillet to reach a level of 1/4 inch deep.
- Heat oil over medium high heat to 365 degrees.
- Cook chicken in oil until golden turning once. About 15 minutes total.
- Reduce heat to low cover and cook until chicken is tender. About 30 minutes longer.
- Turn pieces several times during cooking.
- Uncover during the last 10 minutes of cooking.