Indian Mushroom Samosas
This is delicious Indian staple appetizer. Traditionally it is prepared using maida flour which is used quite frequently in India to make breads and other pastries. If you can’t find maida flour use cake flour which most closely resembles the consistency of maida.
- 1 cup maida or cake flour (maida available at Indian grocery’s)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 lb of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbs cilantro
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp green chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbs coriander powder
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- Add enough water to the flour to make a smooth dough. knead and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a saute pan and fry onions.
- After frying the onions add ginger, chilies and fry.
- Then add the mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin, Garam Masala, chopped cilantro.
- Season with salt and pepper and before removing form heat add the lemon juice.
- Make small balls with the dough and roll like poori.
- Slit the poori from the middle to one end. Roll it like a cone.
- You may alternatively roll out the dough on a floured surface, then cut our 3 inch squares of dough. when you fill them just fold over in a triangular shape and seal.
- Fry in hot oil over medium heat until golden on all sides,
- Serve with a sauce of your choice.