- 1 lb of rigatoni pasta
- 2 egg plants, about 1 lb each
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups of marinara sauce, bottled or homemade
- 1/4 cup water
- Small bunch fresh basil, for garnish
- Parmesan for sprinkling.
This is a super simple Italian comfort food recipe. Creamy roasted eggplant is married with rigatoni and savory sweet marinara sauce.
- Cook pasta according to pasta directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Trim egg plant and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Grease the bottom of a baking dish with olive and add the eggplant.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, occasionally turning eggplant to ensure even browning.
- In a large sauce pan bring the marinara sauce to a boil and add the roasted eggplant and the pasta water.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Place cooked pasta on a platter and pour sauce over.
- Garnish with chopped basil and Parmesan cheese.