South Carolina Mustard Barbecue Sauce
- 2/3 cup of yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
This is one of the typical barbecue sauces served in South Carolina. It is mustard based with the additions of brown sugar, vinegar and spices which gives it a sweet and sour, spicy flavor profile. It is equally delicious used for pork or chicken.
- Add all ingredients to a sauce pan and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Using low heat simmer sauce for 30 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Cool to room temperature before using.