Sweet Potato Donuts
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbs salt
- 1 package of active yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs grated orange peel
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 to 7 cups flour
- canola oil
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup boiling water
Contrary to popular belief donuts are very easy to make. This recipe uses sweet potatoes, nutmeg and sugar to create a flavor sensation that will melt in your mouth.
- In a large bowl mix the sweet potatoes with 1 cup of water, the shortening, granulated sugar and salt.
- Dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup of warm water.
- Stir in the sweet potato mixture.
- Stir in the eggs, orange peel, nutmeg and enough flour to make it easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. About 5 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl and turn the dough, greased side up.
- Cover and let rise until double. About 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Divide dough in half and pat each half to about 3/4 inch in thickness.
- Cut with a floured 2 and 1/2 inch dough nut cutter.
- Let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry donuts until golden, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Drain donuts on wire a wire strainer
- Mix powdered sugar and 2/3 cup of water.
- Dip donuts into sugar mixture, 2 times.
- Store donuts covered at room temperature.