This a version of split pea soup that uses yellow split peas. If you soak the split peas overnight, this soup cooks very quickly.
- 1 lb of yellow split peas
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1 talk of celery chopped
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 1 cup chopped country ham, in 1/8 inch thick
- Soak the split peas in water overnight. Make sure they are adequately covered with water.
- In a large sauce pan add the olive oil.
- Using medium heat in a large saute pan or dutch oven saute the onions, garlic, celery and carrots and saute for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drain the peas and add to the pan.
- Add the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cubed ham and simmer soup until peas are tender. About 40 minutes.