Asian Style Chitterlings
- 5 lb bucket of pre cleaned chitterlings
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbs hot chili paste
- 10 bay leaves
- cold water to cover
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- hot sauce for serving
- 2 tbs canola oil
This is a southern favorite. Chitterlings can be found in grocery stores already pre cleaned. However we recommend cleaning them again before cooking. Many southern families have their chitterlings recipes passed down from generation to generation. This recipe is a classic example of how the slaves and disenfranchised underclass used the parts of the pigs that the rich threw away.
- Add chitterlings to a sink full of cold water and rinse thoroughly in several changes of water.
- Place the cleaned chitterlings in a large sauce pan and cover with water.
- Add the cider vinegar and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 3 hours.
- Drain the chitterlings and let cool slightly.
- Add canola oil to a hot pan and add the onions garlic and green pepper.
- Saute for about 4 minutes until onions are clear.
- Add the chitterlings along with the soy sauce and chili paste and saute for another 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Note; Chitterlings can also be deep fried in 350 degree hot oil for a crispy treat.