Bahamas Conch Chowder
- 4 medium conchs
- 1 stalk of celery, minced
- 1 can of celery soup
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 tbs A-1 sauce
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large onion, minced
Conch can be referred to as the national food of the Bahamas. This chowder is delicious and is served all the Bahamas. Conch is widely available by mail order or at quality fish mongers.
- Score and boil the conch’s and cut into small pieces.(to score means cut shallow diamond patterns in the white meat).
- Fry the onion and celery in 1 tbs of oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add the sauces and remaining ingredients.
- Add enough water or fish stock to cover and cook over medium heat, partially covered for 1 hour.
- Stir occasionally.