Boston Cream Pie
- 2 cups unsifted flour
- 1 and 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 and 1/4 cups butter milk
- 4 egg whites (reserve 2 egg yolks for filling)
- Cream filling (to follow)
- Chocolate glaze (follow)
This is a classic American pie. It is actually more like a cake than an pie. But whatever you want to call it, it is absolutely delicious. This is a very elegant pie that is made with with delicate cake layers instead of pie crusts.
- Grease and dust with four to 9 inch layer pans.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixer bowl.
- Add butter, shortening, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Beat on a low speed for 30 seconds.
- Beat on a medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add egg whites, and beat 2 minutes.
- Pour into pans and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool for about 15 minutes then remove from pan, and cool completely.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbs cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in a sauce pan.
- Gradually add 1 and milk and reserved 2 egg yolks. Blend well
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and blend in 1 tbs of butter and 1 tsp vanilla. Cool for 10 minutes
- Place 1 layer of cake on a cake dish or large plate and spoon cream filling evenly over it.
- Carefully top with remaining layer.
- 3 tbs water
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- Combine water and butter in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a full boil and remove from heat.
- Add Cocoa.
- Stir until mixture leaves side of pan and forms a ball.
- Beat in 1 cup confectioners sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Pour over cake and allow some to drizzle over the side.