Braised Lamb Shanks
- 6 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup canned tomatoes with juices
- 6 cups beef stock
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbs fresh parsley
- kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
These lamb shanks are seasoned with red wine, rosemary and thyme and are falling off the bone tender.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Season shanks with salt and pepper.
- In a dutch oven over medium high heat add the oil and brown the shanks on all sides. About 10 minutes.
- Transfer shanks to a platter and pour off fat.
- Add onions, celery and carrot to the same pot.
- Add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with juices, stock, rosemary and thyme, bay leaf and shanks and bring to a boil.
- Cover pan and place in the oven. Cook for about 2 hours.
- Transfer lamb shanks to a serving platter.
- Discard bay leaves and skim any fat off of sauce.
- Place sauce in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour sauce over shanks and garnish with parsley.